It goes without saying that we live in an age that makes it difficult to step out of our busy days to truly be together. Between full-time work, school for the kids, extracurricular activities, and so much more, quality time spent together with family often gets left by the wayside.
However, when you are all able to find the time to get together and truly connect, magic happens. There is no better way to press the pause button on all of life’s demands than by taking vacation time and experiencing something new together!
Studies have shown that good old-fashioned family bonding has a variety of positive benefits for growing kids mentally and physically. Here’s why you should prioritize quality time with your family by traveling with your kids!
Six Benefits of Quality Family for Children
- 1It builds children's self-esteemSpending time with parents and participating in activities is an excellent way for children to establish a high sense of self-worth. A child who feels valued by the family members around them learns to feel more positively about themselves intrinsically.
- 2It strengthens family bondsStudies have shown that families who regularly participate in activities together share stronger emotional bonds with one another. In addition, sharing everyday activities such as books, sports, and movies can make it easier for families to adapt to future situations.
- 3It encourages communicationSuccessful communication is essential in any relationship. Spending time with kids establishes a safe space for them to feel comfortable expressing themselves, which continues to grow in other areas of their lives.
- 4It develops positive behaviorsThe more time a child spends with family, means less time engaging in risky behavior. Children who often spend meals with family are shown to have a more healthy dietary intake than those who don't. Additionally, according to studies by the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse via Arizona State University, teenagers who do not have frequent meals with their parents are twice as likely to use tobacco and alcohol.
- 5It can help your child's academic performanceWe have all struggled with homework growing up, and know just how relieving a helping hand can be. Spending time with children to foster an environment that values academics can be a lifelong benefit. Spending time with kids on homework and reading assignments can help them feel more comfortable with academic performance as a whole.
- 6It can help your child be a good friendTaking the time to set a good example for your kids is one of the most significant investments you can make in their lifetime. Children learn by example, and through simple things like playing games and spending time together, they are more likely to recreate those interactions in other areas of life.
Table of Contents
All The Time in The World
RV rentals grant families the opportunity to travel together and really be TOGETHER! We’re all familiar with the shenanigans that come with plane travel. You arrive in a time crunch after wrangling the kids all morning. You make it to the gate to find that something was forgotten at home. You cram into your seats and instantly plug into the entertainment screens. Not to mention the potentially gorgeous views you’re passing by from 30,000 feet in the air.
Now, imagine removing the stressful schedules and meticulous timing. Imagine having all the time in the world to do whatever your family wants to do when you want to do it. You’re driving by the highway and see a family fun park. Why not pull over and stretch your legs with games and entertainment! You see a beautiful side street passing through fields and forests. Take a drive down and see where it leads! Your family has all the time in the world, and anything you say goes. Read on for the benefits of vacationing on your own time!
1. Flexible Timing
You greatly reduce the amount of pressure you need to feel for getting the timing right on every activity you have planned. There’s no one to sync up with but you and your family. If the kids are late getting everything together in the morning, you have no looming fear of paying to reschedule flights or figure out when the next bus is coming.
2. Changing Plans
Your trip has the flexibility to grow and change along with your family’s interests. Choose the scenic route, stop at that beautiful lake you passed, be spontaneous! A great way to involve the kids is by having them look ahead and plan if there are any restaurants or small towns they are interested in seeing. RV travel leaves potential for the entire family to get involved!
3. Adapting to Unforeseen Circumstances
Life can be unpredictable, and anyone who has traveled is familiar that vacation time is one of life’s favorite opportunities to be so. The versatility of RV travel leaves room to adapt to unforeseen circumstances as needed. If one of the kids gets sick, it’s much easier to make them comfortable in the bed of an RV than on a potentially long flight. Maybe hotel or camping reservations get mixed up. Simply hop back in the RV and find another one nearby!
Customize Your Travel Space
We are all familiar with the restrictions that come with different types of travel. When taking a flight, you’re restricted to a cabin bag and a personal item. When taking the family car, you can bring as much as you can squeeze in between the kids in the back seat. Now, let’s take a look at traveling in an RV. Class C RVs are designed to have expansive storage space, both inside and beneath the vehicle.
Fill your pantry cabinets with all of your favorite foods and save money by not constantly having to stop at restaurants. Pack your favorite outdoor toys without the cumbersome need of a roof rack. RV road-tripping grants you the wondrous feeling of complete customization of your travel space. The only limit of what you bring with you is your imagination!
1. Choose Your Entertainment
Not having to share a cabin with anyone besides your family opens your travel space to endless entertainment possibilities. Bring along some card games that can be easily enjoyed on or off the road (UNO anyone?), or download some audiobooks for a relaxing driving experience. A great way to keep the kids involved while on the road is to switch off who’s controlling the music playlist! You might learn some new favorite songs along
the way. There are plenty of road games that can be played as well that don’t require any materials! Eye Spy is an endlessly popular way to stay entertained on the open road.
2. Customize Your Kitchen Cabinets
Being able to drive your kitchen around with you is one of the greatest conveniences that come with RV travel, and the benefits of having your own food stores are endless. Restaurants can easily be $10 per meal per person, making any stop for a family of four $40+. Three meals a day, you’re already looking at a baseline of $120, which can be equated to a week’s worth of food from the grocery store. Aside from the money you save, you also
have the power to fully customize all of your meals. This is particularly beneficial for family members that may have food allergies or dietary restrictions.
3. Make it Home Away from Home
No matter what activities you do or places you visit, you’ll have the knowledge and comfort that your home away from home will be ready and waiting for you at the end of the day. You and your family have a mobile designated space to sprawl out, relax, and enjoy each other’s company. And when we say family, we mean the WHOLE family. Bring your pets along with you! Save significant money on what airfare would cost for an animal. Just be sure to look up pet-friendly campsites in advance.